I said “some.” Not “all!” I wanted to write about random thoughts of North American Arab Muslims’ behaviour for a while now. I finally decided to get off my facebook playing ass and write something meaningful. So why am I wanting to discuss such a topic and specific group? Simple, because I am one and it is the only people I interact with. So I am going to list a bunch of situations where those group of people can be hypocrites.
“Don’t eat food from Kuffar (non-believers)”
Why the hell you go out to restaurants and also buy groceries from them? I mean Halal meat is one thing, but saying don’t eat from them at all is pure ridiculous since the only way to buy groceries in this country is from “them.”
“Don’t eat food from Shi’a!”
We actually know Lebanese Sunnis who refuse to go to Shi’a restaurants till this day. (Lebanese civil war mentality?) Yet, they go and eat at “other” restaurants of non-Muslims.
“If you don’t wear Hijab (head veil) you are going to hell!”
1. I have my reasons for not wearing it. I have studied a field where women are a minority and wearing a hijab to make my self more of a minority is not going to land me a job. I knew a lot of girls who wore Hijab and studied the same thing as me, but till this day, no work, and just decided to stay home or get married and raise kids with a $35,000 diploma hanging on the wall for display.
2. Also, who the hell are you to judge me if I will go to hell or not? I thought God did, not you!
3. Wearing a Hijab will not portray me as a pure innocent girl in front of my community. There is always good and bad in everything. Girls who wear Hijab now a days are either forced, think it is the norm, or are hiding behind it to masque some evil deeds they have done in the past or currently doing. I only respect those girls who wear it from pure intentions and are convinced of why they are doing it.
4. Covering your hair and wearing tight clothes where men can still see your chest and ass is not called Hijab. It is just another fashion statement like wearing hoop earings and flare jeans.
5. Those who wear a Hijab refuse to talk to other Muslim girls who don’t wear it in fear to be seen with such deviant girls. Oh no. I am not accepted to my own society with my own people because I don’t dress like them! I am going to hell!
And this is the best one..
6. My dad one day went to an Arabic convenient store and asked the owner why his daughter (barely 7 or 8 years old who was sitting there too in the store) is wearing a Hijab. The guy replied saying, “because we live in this sinful country.” My dad replied then, “so your daughters would not wear it back home?” He said, “no, why would they, men there are not evil like here.” My dad laughed, didn’t buy anything from him and left the store in disbelief. Men are men everywhere!
“Why don’t you wear a skirt? How will you get married? Girls have to, so men will like them more for being good Arab Muslim girls.”
I had a lady tell me this because I was wearing pants and her daughters didn’t. She said that when you have people visiting your home; girls must dress up all the time in skirts or dresses. It is the only way that potential husbands will look at her.
So wearing pants is sinful now and the reason I am not married?
“Don’t befriend non-Muslims. If you are Sunni, also double bonus to not befriend Shi’a.”
Yes, I suffer from this too from my family. They prefer if I only befriend Muslim girls (or guys). However, why the hell do Arab Muslim men marry non-Arab Muslim girls? Can’t befriend them, so marry them? This goes for girls, because if a girl is friends with non-Muslim Arab, then it is a big time sin and walking with them is blasphemous!
So if I lived in Nunavut Canada, I can’t befriend anyone except a penguin?
“All non-Muslims are Kuffar (non-believers).”
Non-believers in One God? Is this what it means because I am confused why the Quran keeps talking about Jews and Christians. It makes you wonder why God wants us to learn from them. To see the mistakes (Christians were swayed from the true religion, and Jews who God is angry with them), and see what happened. Yet God said they are also holders of the holy books.
An Arab Muslim girl comes up to me and says, “why do you talk to Christians? They are Kuffar.” I said, “please translate some Chapters in the Quran, about 30% – 50% of it that mentions Jesus the son of Mariam, and Mariam her self all the time, and explain to me why I have to read about them if I can’t talk to them at all. She looked at me and changed the subject. But she wasn’t convinced and who am I to convince her?
“I hate living in this country, people are disgusting, Kuffar, everything has pork in it, and no Arabs here at all that you can befriend.”
This is a quote from a Palestinian girl I knew that just moved to the country. She is a refugee who became a resident. Canada was the only country that accepted her family after living all her life, and her parents life being a refugee. I said, “if you hate it here, why did you come here? You are Palestinian! Thank God you are no longer a refugee living in the Arab world treated like you are nothing. Maids from Malaysia and Sri Lanka are treated better than Palestinians!” She said, “and living here is any better within Kuffar?” I said, “better than treated like crap by your own people. Just give it a rest and accept life and fate. If you have a problem with their food, then become a vegetarian. So many of those Western people are preaching animal rights, you can too!” She said, “well, there are hardly any Arabs here, and if there are, all they do is talk shit about each other.” I said, “same as you are doing now. You talk shit about them too. What’s your point?”